SearchStax allows you to upgrade your Solr deployment to a more recent version of Solr.
Please examine Apache’s Solr Upgrade Notes before proceeding.
Minor-version upgrades are easily performed in the same manner as scaling up a deployment to have more memory and disk space. You must use the same cloud provider, but the content can migrate using a backup/restore path.
For a major-version Solr upgrade, the backup/restore path is not available. This means that index files are not compatible across major Solr versions. Changes in the Solr schema make it necessary to reindex all of your data.
Best Practice: A/B Upgrade Path for Major-Version Solr Upgrade
To upgrade from one major Solr release to a different one, the best practice is to:
- Your current deployment is deployment A.
- Create a new deployment using the desired version of Solr (deployment B).
- Configure B. Note that there will probably be significant changes to the Solr schema if this is a major-Solr-version upgrade.
- Load your data into deployment B.
- Validate the behavior of deployment B.
- Switch over from A to B.
- Delete deployment A.