Support User Guide
provides a specific set of services in support of our clients.
This Support User Guide describes the specific support services provided by SearchStax to our customers. This page delineates the tasks that SearchStax support engineers typically undertake, and how SearchStax clients may avail themselves of these services.
- Contacting SeachStax Support
- Support Services
- Support Policies
Contacting SearchStax Support
Hours of Operation
SearchStax customers using our Silver (i.e. free) level of support will be assisted in the hours 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday.
Premium customers (Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus SLAs) will be assisted by region:
|Americas||8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday|
|Europe||8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CEST, Monday-Friday|
|Asia-Pacific and Japan||8 a.m. to 6 p.m. AEST, Monday-Friday|
Some SLA agreements provide 24/7 response for urgent issues only. See SLA Plans.
Coverage for major holidays may be limited to Severity 1 issues only.
Problem Severity Categories
SearchStax recognizes four issue severity levels, depending on the business impact of the issue. Please choose the appropriate level when you submit an issue:
|The impact on business is severe with many users unable to access the Services or use the Services for their intended purpose, or there is a serious, adverse business / financial impact. The users have no readily available alternative way of accessing the Services or using the Services for their intended purpose.|
|There is a significant impact on business. The users are having difficulty accessing the Services or using the Services for their intended purpose. Workaround solutions can be implemented but with significant degradation of productivity.|
|There is no immediate impact on Customer business with only a few users affected. The users are inconvenienced by the problem but, have alternative ways of performing work with nominal productivity impact.|
|Additional development or enhancement services which are not critical in nature.|
Filing a Support Request
Silver: SearchStax customers may use our Silver level of support by sending email to the SearchStax Support Desk.
Premium: Customers who have purchased a premium service-level agreement (Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Plus) may send email to the SearchStax Support Desk or they may log in to our Zendesk website at https://support.searchstax.com/hc/en-us.
For all users, please provide the following information in your support request:
- Subject: This will be the title of subsequent email exchanges.
- Description: Describe the issue in as much detail as possible.
- Severity: 1, 2, 3, or 4, as described above.
- Deployment Name: Please include the URL of the deployment that has the issue (such as "https://ss284305-us-west-2-aws.searchstax.com/solr/#/"). This accelerates our response time significantly.
- Attachments: You may attach screenshots, log files and other documentation as needed.
Issue Submission Process
SearchStax responds to an issue through the following general process:
- When submitting a ticket, the client provides a description of the issue, a description of the business impact, and designates the severity level of the request.
- SearchStax evaluates the request and provides an initial response in the time determined by the client's SLA.
- SearchStax contacts the client by using the online ticket system to confirm details and initiate diagnosis.
- The client works with SearchStax to provide additional information relevant to the issue (for example, network infrastructure information).
- SearchStax tracks progress and client communications in the online ticket system until the issue is resolved.
SearchStax support engineers are available to help you with certain specific tasks. Responsiveness depends on the terms of your SLA or by prior arrangement with the SearchStax team.
SearchStax support engineers may provide advisory services on an hourly basis, as agreed in advance with the SearchStax team.
Advisory services entitle the client to engage a SearchStax engineer in a discussion of best practices for generic topics including security, migration, performance tuning, Solr development, and website architecture. Advisory support is limited to knowledge that can be communicated during a real-time conversation or by follow-up email.
Advisory support does not generate any deliverables.
Examples of advisory support topics:
- Security best practices
- Performance best practices
- Architecture best practices
- Solr schema modifications
- Solr score boosting
- Expanding/reducing a deployment
Search Application Support
SearchStax presumes that you have developed your search-engine application and are ready to deploy it on cloud servers. Our commitment is to help you deploy your system and to maintain it in a responsive state that fulfills the terms of your SLA.
We do not perform development of search applications. Schema development, data normalization, and search-client development are beyond the scope of our support services.
Search Engine Life Cycle
SearchStax reserves the right to retire support for search-engine releases that have become obsolete, except by specific agreement between the client and the SearchStax team.
Silver: SearchStax customers using our Silver level of support may deploy these Solr versions:
Premium: Customers who have purchased a premium service-level agreement (Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Plus) may also deploy Solr 4.x or such other search engines as are negotiated with the SearchStax team.
Supported Cloud Providers and Regions
Access to cloud providers and their regions depends on your Support Plan.
See Providers, Regions and Plans for a full listing of deployment options and pricing.
Installing Runtime Libraries
Deploying custom JAR files to your Solr deployments is a self-service activity described in Adding Custom JARs. SearchStax engineers are ready to assist you with this task during normal business hours.
Personnel and Billing Changes
The initial user on a SearchStax account is automatically the admin, and has the ability to manage other users on that account. See Adding Users. SearchStax engineers are happy to assist in situations where turnover has made user management awkward, and when changes in billing must be made.
IP Security Changes
A SearchStax account admin has the ability to restrict access to the deployment to specific IP addresses. See Cluster Security.
SearchStax engineers assist in setting up IP filtering for special network configurations involving virtual private networks, private clouds, and jumphosts.
Search Engine Upgrade
A client with a premium SLA (Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus) may request a search engine upgrade (Solr 5.x to Solr 6.x, for instance). SearchStax engineers participate in such upgrades, which may require one to two weeks to complete.
The SearchStax team adheres to the following policies about interacting with clients.
- Conference Bridge Participation - We understand that some of our clients expect to open a conference bridge when an issue is defined and remain on that bridge until the problem is solved or the severity lessens. We have found that the bridge format is not conducive to orderly troubleshooting. We do not participate in bridge calls until a complete problem description has been provided. After we receive this information, we will select the appropriate personnel to join the call. The SearchStax team reserves the right to decline bridge calls that are outside the scope of SearchStax support.
- Customer Chat Channels - SearchStax support will not establish or join customer chat channels.
- Conference Calls - There are times when direct communication over a conference call or similar meeting is the best means of addressing a specific issue or clarifying recommendations that have been provided. Conference calls can be requested and scheduled through the SearchStax Support Desk.
Do not hesitate to contact the SearchStax Support Desk.