New Relic Solr Tutorial – SearchStax
SearchStax® helps companies host, deploy, and administer their Solr search solutions in the cloud. The SearchStax product suite offers automated provisioning and scaling of Apache Solr Search Engines, backups, 24/7 monitoring and alerting, comprehensive analytics, and administrative tools.
Note that New Relic integration with Managed Solr is for deployments on Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform only. This feature is not offered for Azure deployments.
- New Relic APM is a software-analytics service for application performance monitoring (APM). It provides both current and historical information about memory usage, CPU utilization, database query performance, web browser rendering performance, application availability and error analysis, external services, and other useful metrics.
- New Relic Servers allows you to view and analyze critical cloud server metrics, including CPU usage, physical memory, network activity, processes, and disk I/O utilization and capacity.
Managed Solr is easily integrated with these New Relic services, combining ease of cloud deployment with ease of application and system monitoring. This page shows you how to put it all together.
Managed Solr also integrates easily with PagerDuty.
Combining Managed Solr and New Relic Services
It is very easy to integrate the New Relic services with Managed Solr. There are five steps:
- Set up your Solr application
- Create your Managed Solr deployment
- Subscribe to New Relic monitoring
- Connect Managed Solr to New Relic
- Monitor your servers via the New Relic dashboard
Set up Your Solr Application
New Relic monitoring is orthogonal to your Solr application. You don’t have to do anything in Solr to make it work.
New Relic and Managed Solr both can monitor Solr throughput, cache behavior and general server health. The monitoring tools in Managed Solr compliment those of New Relic, giving you insight at the network, server, and application level. See Managed Solr monitoring for more information.
Create Your Managed Solr Deployment
Create a Managed Solr deployment so that you have admin access to the Managed Solr dashboard. See our Quick Start page for helpful information.
Subscribe to New Relic Monitoring
Many Managed Solr users are already using the New Relic services. If you are unfamiliar with New Relic, they offer a free 14-day trial. See the New Relic website for further information.
Look on the Account Settings page of your New Relic user account for your License Key.
Connect Managed Solr to New Relic
There are two steps to hook up New Relic services to a Managed Solr deployment.
First, open the Managed Solr dashboard and navigate to Settings > Third-party access > New Relic. Enter the New Relic license key and click Save.
Second, navigate to the Deployment’s details page. Select New Relic Settings in the drop-down menu.
Check one or both New Relic services and click Save. Note that the APM service involves restarting all of your Solr applications. This takes a few minutes.
That’s all. Just paste in the New Relic license key and check one or two boxes. That’s all it takes to connect New Relic monitoring to Managed Solr!
Monitor Your Servers via the New Relic Dashboard
Return to the New Relic website and select APM from the navigation bar across the top of the page. This overview presents data on how responsive your application is to user activity.
Do not hesitate to contact the SearchStax Support Desk.