Solr Deployment Backups - SearchStax
Users of SearchStax® can back up their deployments manually or on a repeating schedule.
- A backup is a snapshot of the Zookeeper configuration and the Solr index files.
- Backups may be done manually, or they may be done automatically on a schedule.
- Backing up is disk-intensive. Schedule your backups for times of the lightest load.
- Backup operates on a single replica of your replicated collection, leaving the other replicas free to respond to queries.
- Backup does not support sharded indexes at this time.
- Please avoid making changes to the deployment while the backup is running. For instance, don't update the config files or change the number of nodes.
Each backup event costs $1.00. Each gigabyte of storage costs another $0.50.
To create a backup manually, open the SearchStax dashboard and navigate to the details page of the desired deployment. On the deployment details page, click Backups in the menu bar.
To perform a manual backup, click the One-time Backup button at the top of the page. This opens a confirmation dialog:
Click the Backup button to launch an immediate backup event. You may have to refresh the page to see that the backup has finished.
To schedule a recurring backup, click the Add Schedule button. This opens the Schedule Backup dialog.
- Day-of-the-Week Checkboxes: Select the days of the week when the backup will run.
- Retention: How many copies of this backup should SearchStax retain? When the number of backups exceeds this threshold, the oldest one will be deleted automatically.
- Execution Time: Select the time of day when the backup will execute. Note that the time is relative the time zone of your local computer.
Note: Best Practice Recommendation
For a production system, the Best Practice is to schedule daily backups with retention set to "7". This insures that you can revert the system to a working state that is as much as a week old.
Delete a Schedule
Active schedules are listed on the Backup page. Each schedule has an X button on the right. Click this button to delete the schedule.
Any retained backups from that schedule will be kept until you manually delete them.
Delete a Backup
Manual (one-time) backups are retained until deleted by the user.
Scheduled backups are deleted automatically when the retention limit is exceeded. From that point forward, each time the system creates a new backup, it deletes the oldest backup from that set.
Note that retention limits apply to individual days of the schedule. If a backup is scheduled for Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday with retention set to 2, SearchStax will retain two backups for each day, making a total of six.
Restore a Backup
To restore a backup, please contact the SearchStax Support Desk. We want to help you correct any issues that might have led you to this action.
Don't hesitate to contact the SearchStax Support Desk.