Solr Deployment Backups - SearchStax
Users of SearchStax® can back up their deployments manually or on a repeating schedule.
Account Admins are the only users who can create, schedule, restore, or view backups.
- A backup is a snapshot of the Zookeeper configuration and the Solr index files.
- Backups may be done manually, or they may be done automatically on a schedule.
- Scheduled backups may be done as frequently as one per hour. Manual backups can be repeated as soon as the previous backup is complete.
- Backing up is disk-intensive. Schedule your backups for times of the lightest load.
- Backup operates on a single replica of your replicated collection, leaving the other replicas free to respond to queries.
- Backup does not support sharded indexes at this time. (Sharded backups can be arranged through a consulting engagement.)
- Backup assumes that indexes have been replicated to all cluster nodes. If there are gaps, backup might miss that index.
- Please avoid making changes to the deployment while the backup is running. For instance, don't update the config files or change the number of nodes.
- A backup of one deployment may be restored to another deployment, subject to certain limitations.
- A backup from one cloud region may be restored to a deployment in another region, subject to certain limitations.
Each backup event costs $1.00. Each gigabyte of storage costs another $0.50. There is no additional fee for restoring a backup.
Premium deployments get free backups!
Deployments covered by Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Plus support agreements receive complimentary daily backups (once per day, with one-day retention).
Contents of this page:
- Account and Deployment Views
- Making Backups
- Delete a Schedule
- Delete a Backup
- Restore a Backup
Account and Deployment Views
The SearchStax Dashboard has a two views of the backups for the account:
- Account View: Select Backups from the Dashboard's navigation menu. This opens a combined
list of all backups made from the deployments in the account. From this list, an Admin can delete
or restore backups.
- Deployment View: Navigate to the details page of an individual deployment in the Cloud Manager. Select Backups
from the horizontal menu bar at the top of the screen. This opens a list of the backups of that
deployment. From this view an Admin can make a one-time backup, schedule repeated backups, restore backups,
and delete them.
To create a backup manually, navigate to the deployment's details page. Click Backups in the menu bar.
To perform a manual backup, click the One-time Backup button at the top of the page. This opens a confirmation dialog:
Cross-Region Replication: If checked, you may select a remote cloud region that will receive a copy of the backup file. This enables "cold" disaster recovery.
Click the Backup button to launch an immediate backup event. You may have to refresh the page to see that the backup has finished.
To schedule a recurring backup, click the Add Schedule button. This opens the Schedule Backup dialog.
Scheduled backups run at least once per week. You can schedule backups to run every day, or on specific days. Within a day, you can have one backup at a specific time, or repeated backups at a settable interval. Finally, you can run multiple backup schedules simultaneously.
- Everyday/Specific Days: If you select Specific Days, seven checkboxes appear representing the days of the week.
- Retention: How many days should SearchStax retain this backup before deleting it?
- Frequency: If Once, you may select the time when the backup will run (relative to UTC). If Hourly, you can set the interval between backups. The schedule begins at midnight UTC and starts over at the following midnight.
- Cross-Region Replication: If checked, you may select a remote cloud region that will receive a copy of the backup file. This enables "cold" disaster recovery.
A typical backup schedule might say, "On weekdays, beginning at 3 a.m. UTC, make a backup every six hours." That schedule would create backup files at 3 a.m., 9 a.m., 3 p.m., and 9 p.m. UTC.
Delete a Schedule
Active schedules are listed on the Deployment Backup page. Each schedule has an X button on the right. Click this button to delete the schedule.
When you delete a schedule, you have the opportunity to delete or to retain its existing backups.
Delete a Backup
Account Admins can manually delete backups either from the Account View or the Deployment View. In both views, an Admin can delete individual backups using the X buttons on the right, or by setting checkboxes on the left and using the Bulk Delete button.
Restore a Backup
An Admin can restore a backup to any deployment that is in the same Cloud Provider region and uses the same version of Solr as the backup. The restoration process will automatically compensate for different numbers of nodes/replicas.
Restoring a Backup Overwrites Existing Data
Restoring a backup erases the target deployment's previous collections and replaces them with the backed-up collections.
To restore a backup, select it from the list of available backups and click the Restore button in the upper right.
This opens a dialog box where you can select the deployment that will receive the restored data.
Don't hesitate to contact the SearchStax Support Desk.