Solr Deployment Backups - SearchStax
Users of SearchStax® can back up their deployments manually or on a repeating schedule.
- A backup is a snapshot of the Zookeeper configuration and the Solr index files.
- Backups may be done manually, or they may be done automatically on a schedule.
- Scheduled backups may be done as frequently as one per hour. Manual backups can be done as soon as the previous backup is complete.
- Backing up is disk-intensive. Schedule your backups for times of the lightest load.
- Backup operates on a single replica of your replicated collection, leaving the other replicas free to respond to queries.
- Backup does not support sharded indexes at this time.
- Please avoid making changes to the deployment while the backup is running. For instance, don't update the config files or change the number of nodes.
- A backup of one deployment may be restored to another deployment, subject to certain limitations.
Each backup event costs $1.00. Each gigabyte of storage costs another $0.50. There is no additional fee for restoring a backup.
Contents of this page:
To create a backup manually, open the SearchStax dashboard and navigate to the details page of the desired deployment. On the deployment details page, click Backups in the menu bar.
To perform a manual backup, click the One-time Backup button at the top of the page. This opens a confirmation dialog:
Click the Backup button to launch an immediate backup event. You may have to refresh the page to see that the backup has finished.
To schedule a recurring backup, click the Add Schedule button. This opens the Schedule Backup dialog.
- Everyday/Specific Days: If you select Specific Days, seven checkboxes appear representing the days of the week. Select the days of the week when the backup will run.
- Retention: How many copies of this backup should SearchStax retain? When the number of backups exceeds this threshold, the oldest one will be deleted automatically. Note that retention limits apply to individual days of the schedule. If one backup per day with retention set to 2, SearchStax will retain two backups for each day of the week, making a total of fourteen.
- Frequency: You can schedule multiple backups per day. This control sets the interval between them.
- Start Time: Select the time of day when the schedule will begin to run. The schedule will run until midnight. (All times are UTC.)
A typical backup schedule might say, "On weekdays, beginning at 3 a.m. UTC, make a backup every six hours." That schedule would create backup files at 3 a.m., 9 a.m., 3 p.m., and 9 p.m. UTC.
Delete a Schedule
Active schedules are listed on the Backup page. Each schedule has an X button on the right. Click this button to delete the schedule.
When you delete a schedule, you have the opportunity to delete or to retain its existing backups.
Delete a Backup
Manual (one-time) backups are retained until deleted by the user.
Scheduled backups are deleted automatically when the retention limit is exceeded. From that point forward, each time the system creates a new backup, it deletes the oldest backup from that set.
Restore a Backup
To restore a backup, select it from the list of available backups and click the Restore button in the upper right.
You may create a backup in one deployment and restore it to another deployment, subject to these limitations:
- The deployments must be in the same account.
- The deployments must use the same cloud provider.
- The deployments must use the same version of Solr.
The restoration process will automatically compensate for different numbers of nodes/replicas.
Warning: All collections will be restored!
Note that restoration occurs at the level of the deployment, meaning that all collections will revert to the date of the backup. Collections that are newer than the backup will disappear.
Don't hesitate to contact the SearchStax Support Desk.