SearchStax provides a special module that connects Sitecore directly to Site Search and lets you publish a custom search page immediately.
What is the Sitecore Module?
This package is a Sitecore module that Sitecore developers can install to leverage all the search capabilities offered by SearchStax Site Search for your client-facing search pages in an effortless fashion. It contains a Sitecore index connector which can index your Sitecore items using the out-of-the-box Indexing Manager provided by Sitecore. Not only that, but it comes with a functional search page that can be built in minutes instead of weeks of work. With this package your client can focus immediately on improving the real search experience, since that is where the business value is.
First, create a Site Search App!
You cannot install the Sitecore Module until you have created a Site Search App.
How to Install it?
The first step is to contact SearchStax team and ensure you already have a Site Search account and App created with Solr core configured to deal with your Sitecore. They will do this for you, so do not worry. Once you have this you are ready to go.
This is an almost plug-and-play module, thus installing it is as easy as possible.
Below are the supported Sitecore versions, with the links for downloading the Sitecore package:
|Sitecore 9.0||SearchStax package for 9.0|
|Sitecore 9.0 Update 2||SearchStax package for 9.0.2|
|Sitecore 9.1||SearchStax package for 9.1 and 9.2|
|Sitecore 9.2||SearchStax package for 9.1 and 9.2|
|Sitecore 9.3||SearchStax package for 9.3 and 10|
|Sitecore 10.0||SearchStax package for 9.3 and 10|
|Sitecore SXA (All versions)||SearchStax package for SXA|
Once you download the package, open the Sitecore Installation Manager:
Use the Choose package option to select the downloaded file and upload it to your Sitecore.
Once the package is uploaded it’s time to properly install it. You can do this by clicking on Next and then on Install.
The installation should take no more than a few minutes. You will know the installation is completed when you see the below pop-up. Go ahead and click on the Configure SearchStax for Sitecore Package button:
Create a Site Search Index
The above button will open the list of Site Search Indexes (Site Search Apps) associated with your Sitecore project. (You can reach this page whenever you want to change these values from either the Sitecore Control Panel or the Launchpad.) The list is initially empty:
Click the Create an Index button. This opens the Sitecore Module Index configuration page. This is where you can configure the search module.
- Index Core Name: This is the Solr core name that is required by Sitecore to be able to perform index operations. This value is defined during the creation of the index core and will be provided by SearchStax team to you.
- Root Item: From the Content Editor, enter the root node of the items you want to add to this index. By default, the module will index every page under sitecore/content/home/.
- Solr User Name: This is the Solr username (the Read/Write user). This value is defined during the creation of the index core and will be provided by SearchStax team to you.
- Solr Password: This is the Solr password associated with the User Name, above. This value is defined during the creation of the index core and will be provided by SearchStax team to you.
- Search Endpoint: This is the search endpoint that is required by SearchStax search page. You can find this value on the Search API tab of the Site Search Account > App Management screen.
- Auto-Suggest Endpoint: This is the auto-suggest endpoint that is required by SearchStax search page. You can find this value on the Search API tab of the Site Search Account > App Management screen.
- Analytics API Key: This is the API Key required by SearchStax to log your search analytics events correctly to your application. Those events can be used later to improve the search experience through the dashboards offered by Site Search. You can find this value on the Analytics API tab of the Site Search Account > App Management screen.
Clicking Save returns you to the list of indexes where you can see the index you just created:
Initial Index Rebuild
Now that you have configured your index, it is time to perform the initial index rebuild. Open Sitecore Control Panel and click on Indexing Manager. You should see the new index SearchStax_content_web_index:
Select it and click on rebuild. Usually, it should only take a few minutes but keep in mind that the time this operation will take is proportional to the number of items you have in your Sitecore.
Configure the Search Experience
You can also take some time to configure your search facets and search result template using Site Search directly. You can easily access this feature by clicking on the Search Management:
Create a Search Page
The Sitecore Module comes with a plug-and-play search page template that you can use to create your search page in a few minutes. Use the /sitecore/templates/Feature/SearchStax/SearchPage/SearchStaxPage template to create it.
The search page by default connects to a relevance Model named “Default”. If your model is named anything different, you can modify the Search Page (
Views\SearchStaxPage\Index.cshtml) and provide the model name as shown below.
You just need to publish it to start testing your new search experience: