Account Setup - SearchStax
To get started with SearchStax®, visit the SearchStax website and create a SearchStax account.
- Signing Up
- Billing and Payments
- Managing Users
- Canceling your Account
To sign up as a SearchStax user, go to the SearchStax website.
Click the Start a Free Trial button. (There is a two-week grace period before billing begins.)
Note: The $20/month price shown above is the annual prepaid rate. On the pay-as-you-go plan the rate for a DN1 (smallest AWS deployment) is $48/month.
After filling in your account information, you will be directed to the SearchStax Dashboard where you can create your first deployment.
Billing and Payments
SearchStax uses an automated billing system that bills at the end of each month. You pay only for services you have used. Self-service (pay-as-you-go) clients never pay ahead. For more information, see our Pricing Pages.
Billing is based on your selected plan plus any additional Solr nodes that you have added to your base subscription. For more information about pricing, and how your monthly bill is calculated, see Plans.
Updating Account Information
The user who is currently logged in can change his/her contact information on the Account Settings screen.
- From the SearchStax Dashboard, click on Account Settings.
- Edit the information in the form below:
Note that you cannot change your verified email address. For that, please contact SearchStax Support.
The optional billing contact is a person or entity who should receive a detailed receipt each time the account's credit card is charged. The information entered here has no impact on the credit-card billing process. It is a reporting feature only.
This is where you can enter your Value-Added Tax number so it appears on your receipts.
- To enter this information, go to the Billing & Payments screen.
- Select Billing Information at the top of the screen.
Be sure to save your changes before leaving the screen.
A pay-as-you-go account must specify a credit card. (Annual accounts usually pay in advance through other channels.)
- From the SearchStax Dashboard, use the menu in the upper right corner of the screen to switch to the correct account.
- Go to the Billing & Payments page.
- Open the Billing Overview tab.
- Fill out the form as shown below:
Entering your credit-card information ends your free trial and triggers automatic pay-as-you-go billing from that point forward. Monthly rates are prorated for partial months. You are billed for the number of days that the deployment was active during the month. Credit cards are charged during the first week of the following month.
You can enter multiple credit cards for an account. The most recently-added card will be the default payment method. (It has a green checkmark in the list of cards.)
To delete a card, click the Edit link in the upper-right corner of the list. This exposes delete buttons in the credit-card list.
By default, the owner of the SearchStax account has Admin user privileges there. An account's Admin can perform the following tasks in the account:
- Create or delete Solr Deployments.
- Add users to this account.
- Delete users from the account.
- Close the account.
Only the Admin can add users to the account. The users have access to all deployments in that account. (A user can have access to deployments in multiple accounts, but will have to be added to each account separately.)
The maximum number of users per account is determined by your plan. The Silver (free, pay-as-you-go) Plan permits the account owner plus one other. Premium support plans provide for various numbers of users. See We need more SearchStax users! for details.
It is possible to add SearchStax users to an account for $10/user/month. Contact the SearchStax Support Desk to explore this possibility.
To add a new user to an account:
- Navigate to Settings > Users in the navigation bar at the left edge of the screen.
- Click on Add User.
- Fill out the user enrollment form:
Only an Admin user can create new users.
The system sends a welcoming email message inviting the new user to register with SearchStax. The registration link is good for 24 hours. If the prospective user lets the time run out, the Admin can reissue the invitation using the Bulk Actions menu described in the next section.
Bulk User Actions
The Bulk Actions menu is available to Admins only. The menu is inactive until you check one of the boxes beside the user names.
The account Admin can perform the following actions on one or more users simultaneously:
- Delete users: Delete the selected users from the current SearchStax account.
- Make admin: Give selected users admin authority over this account.
- Make regular user: Remove admin status from this user.
- Resend invitation: Re-invite a user who did not respond to the welcome email within 24 hours.
Deleting a User
Only an Admin can delete a user from an account. Note that this revokes a user's access to that account, but does not delete the user from the system. The user might still have access to other accounts.
To delete a user:
- From the SearchStax Dashboard, use the user menu in the upper right corner of the screen to switch to the correct account.
- Click on Users in the navigation sidebar.
- Click on Delete next to the appropriate user.
- You will be redirected to a confirmation screen, where you can click on Sure, delete this user in order to proceed.
Canceling Your Account
If you decide to cancel your pay-as-you-go account, we hope you will give us some feedback first. Send email to the SearchStax Support Desk.
If you still want to cancel, navigate to the Account Settings tab of the SearchStax dashboard. Click the big red button.
Do not hesitate to reach out to the SearchStax Support Desk. We always strive to improve our service!